This weekend I’ll be enjoying a large cookout with my extended family. Of course, grilled burgers and hot dogs are on the menu but this year I’m bringing something to the table that I hope more of my family will enjoy as a topping on their burger: guacamole.
Before you wrinkle your nose at the idea, consider this: Research at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) shows that avocado on your beef may curb the production of compounds that contribute to inflammation. And inflammation is a risk factor that may be associated with heart disease and cancer.
“This study supports the hypothesis that fresh Hass avocado may help support normal vascular function, which is important for heart health,” says researcher David Heber. “After eating a burger with one-half of a fresh medium Hass avocado, some of the after-meal effects observed after eating the plain burger, specifically inflammation and narrowing blood vessels, were reduced within hours, and triglycerides did not increase beyond what was observed after eating the burger alone.”
Below is my favorite guacamole recipe. Just spread it on top of your hopefully free-range all-beef hamburger and have a safe and healthy holiday!
- 5 large avocados, chopped
- 2 large limes, juiced
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Place avocado in a bowl. Add the juice of one lime immediately. Mash to desired consistency.
- Add onion, cilantro and tomato. Stir gently to mix.
- Add the juice of the second lime and sea salt, to taste. Stir slightly, just until mixed.
- Serve as a dip or condiment.