Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
Broccoli is one of those foods I know I should eat more of. But I will confess it’s never been my favorite.
If I cooked it, I usually smothered in cheese sauce, or ate it raw with lots of ranch dressing. That probably cancelled out most of its health-boosting benefits.
And those benefits are many. But it is broccoli’s cancer fighting reputation that I’m most interested in. Broccoli has been hailed as the brassica that stops cancer growth.
But if you really want to boost broccoli’s cancer-fighting powers — pair it with horseradish. Both broccoli and horseradish contain anti-cancer compounds, but horseradish has been found to be even 10x more powerful than broccoli in this respect. Plus, horseradish is a fermented food which makes it a natural probiotic.
This great recipe I found for broccoli and horseradish sauce is a tasty way to enjoy the amped up power of these two cruciferous vegetables. The original recipe called for ¼ cup of mayonnaise, but I substituted Greek yogurt and was very happy with the outcome. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb broccoli, trimmed
- Combine all ingredients except broccoli; stir well. Chill 3 to 4 hours.
- Separate broccoli into spears. Cook, covered, in a small amount of boiling water 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Arrange in a dish. Top with sauce.