Believe it or not, my children like Brussels sprouts. And their favorite way to eat them is cooked with bacon. The Paleo Diet allows bacon, so I figure this is a healthy dish. I sometimes serve it for dinner with another veggie or two. And I always cook it for Thanksgiving.
Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
3 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1. Brown bacon in a skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Add olive oil to the pan and then add shallots, sautéing 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Stir in Brussels sprouts to coat with oil, season with salt and pepper to your taste, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sprouts to a serving dish and top with bacon bits.
Adapted from a Rachel Ray recipe.
Brussels Sprouts With Bacon (6 servings)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 92.4, Total Fat 4.4 g, Saturated Fat 1.1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.9 g, Cholesterol 4.6 mg, Sodium 255.6 mg, Potassium 508.7 mg, Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g, Dietary Fiber 4.3 g, Sugars 2.6 g, Protein 5.2 g