Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
My oldest child is 18. When he was 3 weeks old, his father had a heart attack. That’s when I started learning to cook healthy meals. One of the first things I learned to cook was oven-baked fries. So I’ve been making this recipe for 18 years. It’s still a family favorite.
This recipe features garlic, which is a terrific seasoning for adding taste and aroma to dishes. But even better, it adds nutrition. And, in fact, it has amazing cardiovascular benefits. Here’s how The World’s Healthiest Foods described it: “The combination of anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative stress compounds in garlic makes it a unique food for cardiovascular support, especially in terms of chronic degenerative cardiovascular conditions like atherosclerosis. In addition to the ability of garlic to help prevent our blood vessels from becoming blocked, this allium vegetable may also be able to help prevent clots from forming inside of our blood vessels. …Equally impressive about garlic is its ability to lower blood pressure.”
Sweet potatoes have heart health benefits of their own. Just ask the people with the healthiest hearts in the world who eat a very similar vegetable…
Unfortunately, heart disease runs in my family, too. With a history of heart disease on both sides of my children’s family tree, I do my best to serve them heart-healthy foods. This recipe is in our regular rotation.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise into wedges
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place potato wedges on a baking sheet and toss with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the salt.
- Roast until browned, 30 to 40 minutes, turning over halfway through baking time.
- Combine garlic and the remaining olive oil in a small bowl. Brush sweet potatoes with garlic and oil.
- Roast until garlic is cooked, about 3 minutes.