This recipe has something for everyone at my house: bacon for my boys, lima beans for my daughter and me. And we all like potatoes, celery, onions and carrots, so this is a family favorite.
I like that it’s so easy to put together. I keep chopped potatoes, celery, onions and carrots in the freezer, so I don’t have to worry with chopping veggies. I can just open the packages and put the veggies in the slow cooker. But even if you do have to chop those, it doesn’t take very long. I also prefer to use homemade chicken broth if I have some. But if I don’t have any on hand, canned broth does the trick.
Lima beans are a good source of soluble fiber, which may play a role in helping to control cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health. And a recent study says a plant-derived isoflavine–found in in high concentrations in lima beans and prunes–holds promise as a natural way to extend your lifespan and increase your fitness level. So eat as much as you can!
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- ¼ cup ghee
- ½ tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 14-ounce cans of chicken broth (or 5¼ cups of homemade broth)
- In a slow cooker, mix the bacon, lima beans, butter beans and their liquid, potatoes, celery, onions, carrots and ghee. Season with marjoram, sea salt and pepper. Pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover slow cooker and cook 7 hours on low.