Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
Nearly 40 percent of men over 40 are reported to suffer from ED (erectile dysfunction) or low libido. Most of this can be traced back to a sedentary lifestyle and being overweight as well as other factors like diabetes, prostate cancer treatment and having heart disease. A significant portion of men also suffer from ED because of psychological reasons and anxiety about sex and past performances. If you are experiencing low libido, declining sexual health and decreased muscle mass, there are natural treatments, including herbs, that can help restore your testosterone and sex drive to normal, healthy levels. Using natural methods (such as taking supplements and making lifestyle changes) can help you balance your hormones and provide an environment for better overall performance in many aspects of your life.
Natural methods are different from taking testosterone therapy. Natural testosterone boosters are not associated with the dangers of testosterone therapy such as increased risk of heart attack and becoming dependent upon the therapy (your body may shut down its own testosterone production). Looking to herbal therapies along with changes you can make in your own lifestyle can help you raise your own free usable testosterone. Actions that have been shown to work are losing weight, reducing the amount of alcohol you drink and exercising more. Another change you can make is to start taking a natural daily supplement to help boost your libido.
One Mediterranean herb and supplement known for improving men’s sexual and prostate heath is fenugreek. There are several fenugreek health benefits that are good for men who are experiencing the effects of aging. Fenugreek has the ability to promote natural testosterone levels, improve libido and may even help fight prostate cancer. Fenugreek contains phytochemicals called saponins and sapogenins. Some experts credit these phytochemicals with raising testosterone levels and improving libido.
Studies have shown that fenugreek can have a significant impact on your sexual health and testosterone:
- Clinical research published in 2011 evaluated a formulation containing a fenugreek extract and minerals. This double-blind, placebo-controlled study involved 60 healthy males without ED who were between the ages of 25 and 52. There was a significant increase in sexual arousal and orgasm in the fenugreek group. The study also found that fenugreek also has a positive effect on muscle strength and energy. Researchers concluded that the formulation has a significant positive effect on the physiological aspects of libido and that it may help maintain normal testosterone levels. (Steels)
- In a study conducted for a manufacturer of fenugreek supplements, 60 healthy men were randomly assigned to take either a placebo or 300 mg of fenugreek twice a day for eight weeks. When the study ended, the men who took fenugreek showed a significant increase in their testosterone levels when compared with the placebo group. (Gencor Nutrients 2008)
- A second study for the same manufacturer focused on a combination supplement that consisted of fenugreek, magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B6. The supplement was randomly assigned to 27 males who were 25 to 50 years old. Another 27 men received a placebo. None of the men had erectile dysfunction and all were in good health and in stable relationships. At the midpoint and end of the six-week trial, the men in the treated group reported higher scores on questions concerning their libido, sexual function and sexual performance than did men in the placebo group. (Gencor Nutrients 2009)
You don’t need to wait until you have a sexual problem to start reaping the benefits of this herb, because the sexual health benefits aren’t the only positive effects that this herb can produce for men. Some research suggests that fenugreek can lower blood glucose and cholesterol levels, and help with diabetes and maintenance of a healthy metabolism. This herb, popular in Indian cuisine, may also help in fighting cardiovascular disease. Fenugreek seeds are also popular for heartburn and indigestion.
So how do you reap the many health benefits of fenugreek? You may find fresh, frozen or dried fenugreek in most Indian stores. But it is easier to buy fenugreek in supplement form if you want to take it consistently. You can buy fenugreek seeds and add a teaspoon to your food or swallow them with water. You can also buy them in capsule or powder form. One formulation specifically for men called EveryDay Male contains fenugreek and several other natural ingredients to help promote libido and natural testosterone levels.
Supplements can help improve your health but the bottom line is that you need to look at what other factors may be causing your loss of sex drive and libido. Losing weight is a good first step to improvement. Not only will you will have more energy and feel better, you will give yourself a natural testosterone boost as a result of the weight loss. And ditch the alcohol. Having a few drinks is fine, but the more you drink the less you will perform — especially in the bedroom. Have a look at some of these natural testosterone remedies and try to apply some of them today.
- Gencor Nutrients. “Clinical study for improvement of male sexual function.” 2009
- Gencor Nutrients. “Effect of Testofen on safety, anabolic activity and factors affecting exercise physiology.” 2008
- Steels, E. et al Physiological Aspects of Male Libido Enhanced by Standardized Trigonella foenum-graecum Extract and Mineral Formulation. Phototherapy Research. Vol 25, issue 9 pages 1294-1300, Sep 2011.