Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
The popularity of turmeric among researchers is gaining ground almost daily.
For millennia, this bright yellow spice has been revered for its many uses in cuisine, herbalism, and other areas. Today, researchers and medical professionals are rapidly exploring turmeric’s remarkable potential and demonstrating its powerful benefits for many key areas of health.
One important new study out of UCLA showed that people who took 90 mg of a highly absorbable form of curcumin — the active compound in turmeric that lends its bright yellow pigment — experienced significant improvements in memory and attention over an 18 month period. Subjects also reported improved mood. Furthermore, PET brain scans of participants showed significantly less amyloid and tau signals in the amygdala and hypothalamus, indicating reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Turmeric’s powerful secret
Researchers believe that these important benefits may be attributed to turmeric’s powerful anti-inflammatory actions, but more research is needed to better understand the exact mechanisms.
Previous studies have also demonstrated turmeric’s benefits for cognitive health, in addition to its ability to fight cancer, boost immune function, protect organ function and more. Here are just a few key highlights among turmeric’s long list of beneficial actions:
- Boosts immune function — Research demonstrates that curcumin in turmeric supports the activity of a protein known as CAMP, which helps maintain healthy immune function.
- Protects the liver — Studies have shown that turmeric helps to maintain liver health, particularly during exposure to toxins. For example, turmeric promotes the production of bile to support digestive health and detoxification.
- Fights dementia — Many epidemiologists have long thought that turmeric’s use in India has helped its aging populations maintain cognitive health. New studies, including this brand new one out of UCLA, are bearing that out, showing that turmeric actively promotes cognitive and neurological health.
- Combats cancer — Numerous studies demonstrate that turmeric delivers powerful benefits for fighting cancer growth and metastasis throughout the body, both for active support as well as long-term maintenance and prevention.
- Supplies powerful antioxidants — Turmeric’s high antioxidant count offers powerful anti-aging support against free radicals and oxidative stress.
- Relives indigestion — According to the National Institutes of Health, taking turmeric may help relieve occasional upset stomach.
- Eliminates toxins — Because it supports liver health, digestion, immunity and more, turmeric can aid in the process of eliminating health-robbing toxins and help prevent their accumulation.
- Protects food during grilling — Research shows that adding turmeric before grilling can reduce the formation of toxic compounds produced by charred meat — by up to 40 % — making it a great companion spice for your next barbecue.
- Advanced Formula for Prostate Health — Because of turmeric’s many benefits, it has become an important staple in advanced nutraceutical formulations. For example, in my practice I recommend a prostate health formula which contains a highly bioavailable form of turmeric extract called BCM-95®. BCM-95 is an enhanced form of curcumin shown to deliver up to 7 times more pharmacologically bioactive curcumin, compared to regular turmeric and curcumin products.
This researched formula has been shown in published studies to actively fight prostate cancer and promote optimal prostate and urinary function, thanks in part to the potent effects of curcumin — one of turmeric’s most powerful active compounds.
With so many critical benefits being discovered, it’s no wonder that this bright yellow spice makes an excellent addition to daily health programs for long-term wellness.