Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
Summer’s here and the time is right for dancing in the streets… just make sure you stay hydrated. That means getting plenty of water, but sometimes I just need a little something extra — and this hits the spot…
Watermelon agua fresco is as refreshing as it is delicious. Watermelon is about 92 percent water but what you may not realize, though, is that watermelons are nutrient-rich, too. According to the watermelon.org, it’s an excellent source of lycopene — an antioxidant carotenoid that’s been studied for it’s potential role in reducing risk of heart disease, various cancers and offering skin protection from harmful UV rays — another summertime threat.
Watermelon also contains beneficial levels of vitamins A and C. You might be glad to know that, even though they are sweet, they have a very low glycemic load, which means you would need to eat a LOT to spike your blood sugar. That makes this water sweet, but much easier on blood sugar than sugary drinks.
- 6 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a blender, blend half of the watermelon and 1 cup of water until smooth. Pour through a strainer into a pitcher. Throw away any remaining solids.
- Repeat step 1.
- Add lime juice and honey to the mixture in the pitcher and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- To serve, put ice in glasses and pour Watermelon Agua Fresca over the ice.