When I was very young, my parents bought my great-grandfather’s farm. On the property were three ponds, a spring, an old barn, a cabin, pastures and woods. My parents didn’t actually use the farm for farming. But we spent many a weekend there hiking, fishing and exploring. In the winter, that’s where we went to search for the perfect cedar tree to chop down and decorate for Christmas. In the summer, that’s where we picked blackberries.
To this day, the smell of cedar reminds me of Christmas. Similarly, the taste of blackberries brings fond summer memories to mind. So when blackberries are in season, I buy lots and lots at the local farmer’s market. For this recipe, frozen blackberries would work as well.
In addition to being delicious, blackberries are quite good for you. They are rich in bioflavonoids and vitamin C, and you know there are major reasons to boost your C intake including cancer-fighting and anti-aging benefits. Plus, they have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits.
- 2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt, if you don’t consume dairy)
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 large, ripe frozen banana
- Put all ingredients in a blender.
- Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Strain the drink through a sieve and toss out the seeds. (Skip this step if the seeds don’t bother you.)
- Serve immediately.