To many of you, the claim that diabetes can be reversed through nutrition may sound like wishful thinking.
The mainstream medicine belief is that “once a diabetic, always a diabetic.”
Yet, I have witnessed otherwise — and I’m not alone, as you learned last week in my post about the treatment that reversed type 2 diabetes.
In that post, I shared important research that had been published in The Lancet. Today I want to share my personal experience with my own patients…
Healing diabetes naturally
The common blood test called Hemoglobin A1C tells your blood sugar level (average) over the previous 3 months. That’s because it is a measure of sugar molecules attached to red blood cells, which live approximately 90 days.
Milton, 64, is my patient who came to me with a recent previous Hemoglobin A1C level of 11.4 mg/dl — elevated well above the goal for someone suffering with type 2 diabetes (below 7.0).
For 4 months he went through a healthy lifestyle program much like the one I developed and coached my patients through in 2008-2010. He learned to prepare and consume mostly raw and whole foods. He also took supplements for intestinal and metabolic health, got off his diabetes medicines, and lost approximately 30 pounds in the process. Now his hemoglobin A1C is in the non-diabetic range, at 6.4 mg/dl.
What Milton did is not easy. Like all of us, he had strong food cravings and eating habits that he had been developing and reinforced for decades. He had to break those and reintroduce new foods that took many weeks for his brain and tastes to adapt to.
But he had additional motivation: Milton had suffered a heart attack the previous year and vowed to get healthy once and for all. Don’t let that happen to you before you commit to turning your health around.
Reversing type 2 diabetes with supplements
When are nutrient supplements needed for reversing diabetes and for how long?
I often see patients who have a long (and expensive) list of nutrient supplements with the hope of preventing the need for prescription medications.
I prefer the smallest number of supplements for only the time really needed to get feeling well and reversing illness — not because I don’t approve of supplements, but I’d prefer my patients get their nutrients from the foods they eat. I’m especially fond of a green drink (or fresh juicing from leafy green vegetables) daily to get your plant-based minerals and vitamins.
Next, I recommend intestinal healing supplements here:
- Digestive enzymes (a blend) with each meal, especially when you increase consumption of raw foods
- Probiotic blend containing at least 20 Billion colony-forming units (cfu) per capsule, daily, with a meal.
Then I would recommend two or three others from this list:
- Alpha Lipoic Acid: aids in conversion of blood sugar into energy; shown to increase insulin sensitivity after four weeks of daily use.
- Banaba leaf extract: insulin-like plant with corosolic acid that transports glucose from your bloodstream to your cells.
- Cinnamon bark extract: increases glucose metabolism, proven to lower fasting blood sugar in diabetic and pre-diabetic patients.
- Gymnema sylvestre (leaf): blocks the taste of sugary foods when placed on your tongue minutes before eating. It has been shown to help improve blood sugar control in diabetics.
- Fenugreek, mulberry, American Ginseng: each of these have been shown to improve diabetes individually and as a combination supplement.
Reversing type 2 diabetes with food
You can cure type 2 diabetes by implementing a 100 percent raw-whole food diet. This reverses the underlying inflammation and metabolic dysfunction of diabetes. In time, it turns off your “diabetic” gene expression.
The key to successfully converting to such a nutrient-rich diet is to learn the spices and sauces that make it tasty and filling. This must happen for it to become a lifestyle habit you can stick to.
I consider Gabriel Cousens, M.D., whom I introduced you to in last week’s post, to be the champion of reversing diabetes. With the assistance of raw cuisine chefs and his coaching staff in Patagonia, Arizona, Dr. Cousens currently has the most successful program for reversing type 2 diabetes I’m aware of.
His reversing diabetes clinic experience starts with a 3-week onsite intensive training, and it continues for a year, with twice monthly follow-up calls with a Tree of Life nurse, and a year of monthly internet webcast group meetings with Dr. Cousens. The focus is nutritional and lifestyle changes, exercise, and meditation. His website tells us some statistics. Of 110 participants in his program:
- 31% of type 1 diabetics were off insulin after 3 weeks with approximately 10% having blood sugars consistently under 100 mg/dl.
- 28% of insulin-requiring type 2 diabetics reversed their diabetes after 3 weeks with no insulin and a fasting blood sugar (FBS) of less than 100 mg/dl.
- 60% of the type 2 diabetics were off all oral hypoglycemic medications after 3 weeks with FBS less than 100 mg/dl.
- 100 percent of pre-diabetics were “healed.”
Feelings required to heal type 2 diabetes
Achieving a cure from diabetes will also require you to feel good emotionally.
When you feel good emotionally, you are able to make healthier lifestyle choices.
Contrariwise, when you feel stressed, worried, or upset emotionally, you will not take the time to purchase and prepare nutrient rich foods; you will not sleep well; you will not enjoy exercise; you will not activate the energy of healing.
I know this for fact. Nearly ten years ago I created a program with 5-10 min of daily audio guidance for 90 consecutive days. The participants learned the important concepts of mostly raw whole food eating, while also feeling a deeper spiritual awareness through my meditations and journaling included. Nutritious food can transform your health if you can make the necessary commitment.
To disease reversal, rather than disease management,
Michael Cutler, M.D.
Editor’s note: The truth is the medical establishment doesn’t want you to know the proven, simple tricks that can turn type 2 diabetes around. But you can find them in Dr. Michael Cutler’s guide, Forbidden Secrets From Nature’s Pharmacy to Reverse Diabetes and Blood Sugar Problems! To get your copy today, plus 3 FREE gifts, click here!
- Kamenova, P. (2006). Improvement of insulin sensitivity in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus after oral administration of alpha-lipoic acid — Hormones, 5(4), 251-258.
- Fukushima M, Matsuyama F, Ueda N, Egawa K, Takemoto J, Kajimoto Y, Yonaha N, Miura T, Kaneko T, Nishi Y, Mitsui R, Fujita Y, Yamada Y, Seino Y. Effect of corosolic acid on postchallenge plasma glucose levels — Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2006 Aug;73(2):174-7. PubMed PMID: 16549220.
- Judy WV, Hari SP, Stogsdill WW, Judy JS, Naguib YM, Passwater R. Antidiabetic activity of a standardized extract (Glucosol) from Lagerstroemia speciosa leaves in Type II diabetics. A dose-dependence study — J Ethnopharmacol. 2003 Jul;87(1):115-7. PubMed PMID: 12787964.
- Davis PA, Yokoyama W. Cinnamon intake lowers fasting blood glucose: meta-analysis — J Med Food. 2011 Sep;14(9):884-9. PubMed PMID: 21480806.
- Kumar, S. N., Mani, U. V., & Mani, I. (2010). An Open Label Study on the Supplementation of Gymnema sylvestre in Type 2 Diabetics — Journal of Dietary Supplements, 7(3), 273-282.
- Kan J, Velliquette RA, Grann K, Burns CR, Scholten J, Tian F, Zhang Q, Gui M. A novel botanical formula prevents diabetes by improving insulin resistance — BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Jul 5;17(1):352. PubMed PMID: 28679380.