Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
As we age, our hair becomes more brittle and prone to breakage. Hair growth stagnates and we notice it just doesn’t frame our face the way it once did — or our forehead is looking a little longer.
Men may notice the thinning around the head while women see it in the areas above the temples or where we part our hair — each and every time we look in the mirror.
For some people it can happen even in their younger years.
While most of us simply accept it, like we do when we have to slip on a pair of reading glasses to see the menu at our favorite restaurant, we might not have to…
In fact, according to research published in Natural Medicine Journal, there’s a safe and effective solution that not only combats hair loss, it makes your hair thicker, stronger and more beautiful.
Putting the power of sulfur to work for your hair
The secret is Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM.
It’s an organosulfur compound that has been gaining a reputation as a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
And it’s an excellent source of sulfur for the body which is where it shines when it comes to your hair since hair strength and health require a steady supply of sulfur.
Knowing this little fact is what led a team of researchers to test out an MSM supplement known as OptiMSM® against hair loss.
The team recruited a total of 41 men and women between the ages of 19 and 60 who were suffering from hair loss.
They then shaved and photographed an area of their head, as well as measured individual hair fibers for thickness, elasticity and strength. Measurements were re-taken after 45, 90 and 120 days of using the MSM supplement.
And sure enough, those taking the MSM were incredibly happy with what it did for their hair.
Here’s how MSM helped:
- Improved density – Terminal hair density per cm2 improved for 50 percent of the subjects after 45 days of MSM use, which increased to 57.9 percent and 82 percent after 90 and 120 days, respectively.
- Reduced hair loss – When asked if they observed a reduction in hair loss, 77 percent of participants observed a reduction after 45 days, a percentage that improved to 82.9 percent after 120 days.
- Increased strength and elasticity – Improvements in hair strength and elasticity were observed by 85 percent of participants after 45 days of use and by 87.8 percent after 120 days.
- Thicker hair – Additionally 80 percent of the subjects observed an increase or improvement in hair amount and hair thickness, which increased slightly to 82.9 percent after 120 days.
- Improved volume – 80 percent of the subjects also noticed that their hair became more voluminous after using OptiMSM.
- Reduced breakage – Also after 45 days, 75 percent of the subjects noticed their hair was less brittle, and this percentage increased to 87.8 percent after 120 days of use.
MSM for the health of your hair
MSM does occur naturally in foods like milk, tea, coffee, fruit, corn and tomatoes and meat. However, it’s important to note that the amount of MSM found in food is miniscule.
Because of this, to get the hair health benefits of MSM you’re looking for, it’s probably best to take an MSM supplement.
In addition to taking MSM, several foods really do help reduce hair loss — and not just not because they contain sulfur. These are the seven best to include in your diet.
Finally, be sure that you’re not fighting an uphill battle by checking into the sneaky things that can cause hair loss so that you can eliminate them as well.
Editor’s note: Did you know that when you take your body from acid to alkaline you can boost your energy, lose weight, soothe digestion, avoid illness and achieve wellness? Click here to discover The Alkaline Secret to Ultimate Vitality and revive your life today!
Methylsulfonylmethane and Hair Health – Natural Medicine Journal
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) – WebMD