Have you thought about losing weight, but then a little voice whispered in your ear that you’re too old? Maybe you’ve told someone close that you plan to go on a diet, only to have them crush your dreams when they reminded you that you’re not in your 20s, 30s or 40s anymore — implying that weight loss over a certain age just isn’t as easy as it used to be.
As a society, we’re conditioned to see weight loss as something for the young. Even among medical professionals, there’s existed a strong misconception that weight loss isn’t safe for seniors.
Well, guess what…
According to an almost 10-year study, researchers are announcing that age is no barrier to weight loss — and older folks probably have even more to benefit from dropping those extra pounds…
Losing just as much weight as a younger person
In the research performed at the University of Warwick and University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, 242 randomly selected obese patients were divided into two groups (people under the age of 60 years and those between 60 and 78 years old) who attended the WISDEM-based obesity service between 2005 and 2016. The scientists then followed up to measure the weight loss each person achieved over time using only lifestyle-based changes, including:
- Psychological support
- Physical activity
And after comparing the two groups, the researchers discovered that every age was equivalent statistically when it came to weight loss.
The team found that for those aged 60 years and over, the average loss was 7.3 percent of their body weight. And for the people under 60, weight loss rang in at 6.9 percent.
The team even found that in the over-60 crowd, on average, weight loss happened faster with an average time frame of 33.6 months compared to 41.5 months for those younger than 60 years.
Maintaining a healthy weight is important at any age, but it has special implications if you’re older…
Lead author Dr. Thomas Barber of Warwick Medical School at the University of Warwick said: “Weight loss is important at any age, but as we get older, we’re more likely to develop the weight-related co-morbidities of obesity. Many of these are similar to the effects of aging, so you could argue that the relevance of weight loss becomes heightened as we get older, and this is something that we should embrace.”
Actionable weight loss tips for every age
This means that you can lose the weight you want at any and every age. The key is choosing the lifestyle changes that work for you and sticking to them.
Tips you can use to drop those extra pounds include:
- Hold yourself accountable – Remember to be accountable for your health and diet choices so that you can walk the road to weight loss with confidence.
- Manage stress – Stress can send you on a roller coaster ride when it comes to your cortisol levels. This can lead to increased belly fat, problems with blood sugar and more.
- Get your rest – Good quality sleep is vital to balanced hormones, including your stress-hormone cortisol. If you have trouble sleeping, you may want to try a melatonin supplement. Doctors recommend starting with 1 mg and working your way up to 5 mg as needed.
- Clean out your refrigerator and pantry – Get rid of temptations, including refined sugars and processed food, and anything with high-fructose corn syrup.
- Make healthy simple – Make sure that you have nutrient-rich, tasty snack options on hand to curb your hunger. These can include carrot sticks, mini tomatoes, celery, snap peas, cucumbers, kefir, Greek yogurt and more.
- Start your day right – Instead of eating a carb or sugar-heavy breakfast, try starting your day with eggs and steamed veggies, or fresh fruit, nuts and oatmeal.
- Hydrate – Drink plenty of water throughout your day, in addition to a glass or two before mealtimes to help you feel full.
- Get moving – Finally, be sure to stay physically active every day. Take a walk, spend time in your garden, or simply take the stairs at work instead of the elevator.
So stop worrying about your age, and start losing weight today with these easy steps.
Age is no barrier to successful weight loss — ScienceDaily
22 WEIGHT LOSS TIPS FROM DR. CUTLER — Easy Health Options