Get Easy Health Digest™ in your inbox and don’t miss a thing when you subscribe today. Plus, get the free bonus report, Mother Nature’s Tips, Tricks and Remedies for Cholesterol, Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar as my way of saying welcome to the community!
Shocking number of lives could be saved by giving up this one thing
It’s no secret that eating or drinking too much sugar is an unhealthy choice.
In fact, foods and beverages laden with the sweet stuff – especially those sodas we all love – have been strongly linked to disease. Obesity, type 2 diabetes and heart disease are just a few of the deadly diseases that can be blamed on sugar.
Yet, a single soda can be packed with up to 13 teaspoons of it!
So is it any wonder that more than two in five American adults are obese, another one in two have diabetes or pre-diabetes, and nearly half are already living with cardiovascular disease?
And now a study from researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital is driving home the cost of sugar and those sodas to your health with startling numbers and some much-needed insight.
Better sugar choices equate to fewer deaths
The team of researchers created a state-of-the-art model that not only simulated but also quantified the impacts reducing sugar intake could have — both on our health and our wallets.
So let’s get to the good stuff first…
Their model unequivocally showed that if we all were to simply cut out 40% of the sugar from the sodas we drink (plus 20% from other foods), in our lifetime alone we can prevent:
- 750,000 cases of diabetes
- 2.48 million cardiovascular disease events, including strokes, heart attacks, and cardiac arrests
- 490,000 cardiovascular deaths
That means if you give up soda and a little more sugar throughout your day, you could be one of 2.48 million lives saved from a stroke, heart attack or cardiac arrest.
The key to your survival could be a simple as saying no to that next soda.
And this wasn’t the first time that sugary sodas have been proven to be killers…
For years, the sugar industry has been hiding research linking it to everything from high cholesterol to cancer.
And as for our wallets?
Well, although they aren’t nearly as important as our health, they can benefit too.
The researchers estimated that in just 10 years of consuming less sugar, people in the U.S. could expect to save $4.28 billion in healthcare costs and a whopping $118.04 billion over our lifetimes.
In other words, kicking those sodas could save your health and your bank account.
Sugar cutting strategies that work
So how can you cut down on the sugar in your diet in order to stay healthy and keep diabetes, heart disease, and premature death at bay?
Simple steps that help include:
- Skip the soda – This one is a no-brainer and a must since sugary beverages are the downfall of your health. And it gets you to that magic 40% sugar elimination number that is so vital. So just say no to sodas and don’t forget that there’s a lot of sugar hiding in fruit juice too.
- Eat freshly prepared meals – Pre-packaged foods are hiding high levels of sugar. To remove as much as possible from your diet, cook your meals from scratch. This could save you that extra 20% per day that comes with those life-saving benefits.
- Be a label reader – You never know where sugar is lurking, from ketchup to canned fruits. So always check the label before you buy.
Editor’s note: Are you feeling unusually tired? You may think this is normal aging, but the problem could be your master hormone. When it’s not working, your risk of age-related diseases skyrockets. To reset what many call “the trigger for all disease” and live better, longer, click here to discover The Insulin Factor: How to Repair Your Body’s Master Controller and Conquer Chronic Disease!
Reducing sugar in packaged foods can prevent disease in millions — EurekAlert!